These are particularly fun for kids to make, manipulating the dough into traditional or novel shapes.
Easy Baked Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 8gr package active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In small bowl, dissolve salt and sugar in the warm water. Stir in yeast. Set aside for 1 minute.
- Combine flours in large bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the white flour. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the dissolved yeast mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining 1/4 cup as needed so dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead for about 3 minutes. Shape into a ball.
- Tear off a piece of dough and roll it into a rope between your hands or on a floured surface. Form into a traditional pretzel or any fun shape.
- Beat the egg in a pie plate. Dip both sides of the shaped pretzel into egg and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake the pretzels for 10 minutes and then broil for 5 (be careful not to burn).
- Serve warm.
Pretzels freeze well.
Click here for instructions on How to Twist a Pretzel.