This recipe is a perfect choice for a relaxing breakfast or brunch because it can be prepared the night before.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter or margarine, divided
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) milk
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) shredded cheese (e.g. Cheddar or Swiss), divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped onion
- 12 eggs
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped or ½ cup (125 mL) chopped ham
- Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Add 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) of the cheese, stirring until melted. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in a large frying pan. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until tender and liquid evaporates.
- Whisk eggs. Add eggs and bacon or ham to mushroom/onion mixture. Cook until eggs are just set but still a little wet. Stir cheese sauce into egg mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan or 2.5 L casserole. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup (125 mL) cheese over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, uncover and bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven until heated through and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
This recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
As an alternate topping, combine 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs with 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) melted butter.