A healthier alternative to some traditional side dishes, and this is one side dish that can be made ahead of time.
- 2 (6 oz) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 12 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook for 7 minutes or until golden. Stir in the mushrooms and salt then cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Pour in the Marsala and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Combine the mushroom mixture into the prepared rice. Stir in the parsley.
- Serve immediately, or let cool completely then refrigerate over night. Reheat on the stove top before serving.
- Serves 8-10
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Seeded At The Table.