Keeping the asparagus bits small increases the likelihood that kids will not pick them out! Prep this meal the night before, and it can be thrown together in 15 minutes.
- 4 (or 1lb) chicken breasts, skinless & boneless, thinly sliced
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 small red onion, peeled & quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, cleaned & quartered
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic puree or two garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- toppings: salsa, sour cream, guacamole
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic puree
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- large pinch smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine marinade ingredients in a resealable bag. Add chicken and coat with mixture. Seal bag and marinate for 15-30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat BBQ or grill pan. (In a pinch, you can also use a broiler).
- Toss red onion, yellow peppers and asparagus spears with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables and lemon halves over medium high heat until they are just softened and have nice grill or char marks. Remove from heat, cool slightly and slice onion and peppers into thin slices. Slice asparagus lengthwise and cut as small as you like. Set lemon halves aside.
- Heat a lightly oiled cast iron pan or a non-stick pan on medium high. Add chicken in a single layer and cook 2-3 minutes until bottom starts to brown. Flip and brown the other side. Add onions and peppers and continue to cook until juices of the chicken are clear. Then add asparagus spears for 1 minute, just to heat through.
- Divide chicken and vegetables equally among warmed tortillas. Serve with toppings, green onion & grilled lemon. Makes 8.