These will appeal to the little ones in the family. Even the pickiest eater will find these hard to resist.
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cheese strings, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 2 pitted black olives
- 4 red grapes or
- sliced almonds
- 8 fresh chives
- In a small saucepan with a lid add eggs and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a rolling boil, turn heat off and cover. Let eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes and run eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel and slice the eggs in half lengthwise.
- Meanwhile cut small pieces of olives for the mice's eyes, and slice grapes for the ears.
- To assemble, arrange eggs cut side down in a circle on a platter. Using a wooden skewer, poke a hole where the eyes will go and place 2 small pieces of olives in divert, pierce two slits on top where the ears will go and insert sliced grapes, add a chive tail to complete. Repeat with remaining halves.
- Mound cheese strings in the centre of the platter. Enjoy
- Serves 8
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.