This is an incredibly hearty, feel good soup. It is easy to prepare and delicious!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 1/2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (4 1/2 cups)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic crusher
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For serving:
- Tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- Shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Diced avocado, diced roma tomatoes, sour cream (optional)
- Pour chicken broth and diced tomatoes into a slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken breasts then cover with lid and cook on LOW heat 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to slow cooker along with black beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice, stir. Allow to cook until heated through.
- Serve warm with tortilla strips and cheese and other optional ingredients.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Classy.