This red pepper hummus is over the top delicious! And easy to make too!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 1/2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic (use fairly small ones)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- Parsley and red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Line a cookie sheet with foil, core and seed peppers then slice into quarters (through the length). Align peppers on baking sheet (leaving some space between each) and set an oven rack two levels below broiler (oven rack levels may vary, the idea is to leave about 4 inches between broiler and peppers). Broil peppers 10 - 15 minutes until nicely charred. Remove from oven and transfer peppers to a gallon size resealable bag, seal bag and let rest 10 minutes. Peel peppers, cool completely then dice one of the peppers (4 quarters) into 1 1/2 - inch pieces (you should have about a heaping 1/2 cup). Chop remaining 1/2 pepper (2 quarters) into small pieces, set aside.
- To a food processor add chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and cumin. Pulse 2 minutes, then scrape down sides and bottom of processor. Add olive oil and heaping 1/2 cup chopped peppers (the larger pieces). Pulse 1 minute, then add 1 tbsp water to thin and pulse 1 minute longer (if you want it thinner you can add another 1 Tbsp water).
- Plate and make wide indentation in center portion of hummus, top with additional olive oil if desired and top with remaining small diced red bell peppers. Optionally garnish with parsley and red pepper flakes. Serve with pita chips or veggies. Store hummus in an airtight container in refrigerator.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cookingclassy.com.