This soup is packed with delicious flavours and is a dinner the whole family will love.
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large)
- 6 green onions, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced peeled ginger
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
- 6 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 cups slightly packed chopped Napa cabbage
- 6 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (4.3 oz) package dry ramen, seasoning packets discarded
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and saute 3 minutes then add green onions, garlic and ginger and saute 2 minutes longer, set aside.
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt and pepper, then add to pot and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, Sriracha, and sesame oil, then pour carrot mixture into soup mixture. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken has cooked through (centre should register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer), about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove chicken breasts from soup and transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes then cut into strips.
- Meanwhile, stir in sugar, cabbage and mushrooms and return soup to a boil. Add noodles and cook 3 - 5 minutes longer until noodles are tender. Stir in chicken. Serve warm sprinkled with cilantro.
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Classy.