A new twist on a traditional family favourite! A complete meal in a bowl ready in minutes that features chicken in delicious harmony with red and white beans.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken, cut in 1-inch (2 1/2 cm) chunks
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn kernels
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) shredded old cheddar cheese
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken and transfer to plate. Add carrot, onion, peppers, chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook, stirring, for 5 min or until vegetables are softened.
- Add tomatoes, the red and white kidney beans and tomato paste; bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently 15 to 20 min or until thickened.
- Whisk flour into milk; gradually stir into pot. Add corn and cooked chicken; simmer, stirring, until thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
- Serves 6
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada.